الجمعة، نوفمبر ١١، ٢٠٠٥

Lovers of Arabs......

Hi Friends,

I was sending Barrett a message on Face book (the new time sucker I have found...but such a great way to keep connected) and I though you would enjoy the story that I shared with him.

I had the worst interaction with a prospective student's mom yesterday. It was a preview day and I was helping the International Studies director answer questions, since I am a living breathing graduate :-)
To make a long story short, her daugher's highschool track team was going to Cairo and the mom wouldn't let her daughter go. "Do you KNOW what Arabs call Americans??" says the overbearing opinionated mom " .....well they call them HOSTEGES". "And there are bombs going off left and right there". I looked at her dumb founded.

I snapped, I couldn't handle one more person talking that way, if she was going to be opinionated then she wouldn't mind hearing my opinion either.
"Actually I spent 13 years of my childhood as well as LAST YEAR in Cairo. Arabs are some of the most hospitable, wonderful people you will ever meet. They love American people and your daughter would be well taken care of. Also the one bomb that went off happend in a hotel on the RED SEA about 10 HOURS from Cairo."

The mother had finally had someone stand up to her. I then continued to talk but only to the daughter (who has a passion for the Middle East and I hope comes goes to a CCCU school so she can go to MESP...and I hope that school is far away from her mother because she needs a lot of deprograming).

What ignorance..... People like that are running all over America. Ok thanks for listening to my rant. I know you all with understand and resonate with me.

Hope you have a good weekend. We are going out to Lebanese food with two of my sister's

Missing you,
Emily

1 Comments:

Blogger Dunkleburger said...

i'm laughing just imgagining you lay into that woman. next time punch her and tell her americans are just as "dangerous"
um, that was a joke...don't seriously do that please

٢:٣٩ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home