الثلاثاء، مايو ١٠، ٢٠٠٥

The Fellowship is Broken

Three days ago the Jeru crew saw Dena and Andrew K off at the bus station. Two days ago we dropped Marcia and Monica off at the airport, and today the remaining three travelers in Israel split ways. Josiah headed to his kibbutz, Barrett went to visit a friend in Haifa, and I returned to Cairo.

The drive to Elait was rather uneventful. With only an hour to get to the border, cross the border and get to the bus station for the 12:30 bus to Cairo, I hurried a taxi driver to the border, expecting a swift passage through. Much to my dismay, though, I arrived just after hundreds of Polish people. I am convinced that if I was there just two minutes earlier, things would have been different. Instead, I stood in line behind many-a confused Europeans. Reaching the bus station at 1:10, I was thoroughly excited to wait 3 1/2 hours for the next bus- well, I guess it wouldn't have been my first choice. But that was my only option. So, I took the later bus and enjoyed (more like loathed) two exciting (ridiculous) arabic movies and always fantastic (ear-piercing) arabic music along the way. Thankful to be out of the bus I walked back from Tahrir, stopped at Naima (maybe not the best transliteration) for some potatas wi ketchup, which satisfied my hunger pangs, and came straight here to Silver Net.

I haven't been to the flat yet, and I can't say I am looking forward to it. Steve won't be there with his humor and always delicious figs. Josiah won't be there studying t he world in our bedroom. A movie is not being watched, nor is a riveting discussion taking place by Barrett, Clinton or Evan. And Kroeze isn't there for yet another sleepover. It was weird to walk the streets knowing that most everyone is gone and I will return to an empty flat. I don't want to be there without my boys. So, pretty much, I'm feeling kind of sucky. It was good to see Naima and the guys at the bakery, but I'm feeling rather lonely - man, I haven't even been here 2 hours.

Anyway, Marcia and Claire are in this country somewhere, and I'm determined to find them. I'll probably visit Diaa at MESP tomorrow.

Tangent: Yesterday, Josiah, Barrett and I had the privilege of spending a day in Israel with none other than Dr. David Holt. It was fantastic to walk around Jerusalem with him, as he gave us information and history on things we had been seeing the past two weeks. After lunch and a walk around the city, we convinced (it didn't take much) Dave to come see Kingdom of Heaven with us. You're probably thinking, "They saw a movie on their last day together in Israel?" Yes we did. And it was fantastic. It was sweet to be able to watch Kingdom of Heaven in the Kingdom of Heaven. To watch crusaders defend Jerusalem, while we stayed at a hostel within those walls. I think we all thought the movie was fantastic, and would highly recommend it.

Well, this is getting long. I leave tomorrow night (actually very early in the morning). I'm sure I'll be at Silver Net again tomorrow, so feel free to email me - I'd love something to do, unless my time is spent tearing up the town with Claire and Marcia. From your favorite neighborhood in Cairo,

Andrew