السبت، أبريل ٣٠، ٢٠٠٥

hey guys,

[I wrote this when I got home, but was just able to post now. Love to y'alls. Claire, hang in there you wild, wonderful, strong woman.]

It is 6:45pm on Wednesday the 27th and here I am on Cape Cod, having just said final goodbyes at JFK 5 hours ago. Yeah, so anyway I think Paul and I are probably the first home, the rest of you who are in America are on layovers or are just taking off now for more 8 hour flights. (Just one more good reason to live on the East Coast...I MEAN, my heart goes out to you as I know how tedious seemingly eternal tansit is.)

The weirdest part of being back is how it seems like normal. I think I expected that America would seem as foregin as Cairo did upon the first 24 hours of arrival; rather, everything here is freakily familiar. My room is precisely the way I left it. Were the past months just a dream?

Mom, cousin Ralph, and my sister Tiffany made up a song with all of your names in it so when they met you the names would stick better. They sang it, multiple times, during the 5 hours from JFK to the Cape. It was completely ridiculous, I was rolling in the aisles laughing. Also,as each name was uttered it brought a different kind of sadness as I envisioned each individual and how much I miss you. (Internally it was kind of like that weird laugh-cry thing I did when women's flat 5 said our final prayer together.)
And so... I know the past months weren't a dream, because I couldn't manufacture that kind of bitter yet sweet hurt.

That, and there is an exploded mango juice in my carry-on, and for certain it ain't from the Cape, we don't grow mangos here. (sorry, had to mitigate the melodrama).

Allright, I have to go now to cousin Ralph's for Chinese food and maybe a side of Turkish delight. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of y'all in your respective situations right now, and for those Stateside I wish you travels that are the least grueling as possible. Those in Israel (ha! I can say its name now), Greece, Egypt, hang tight, be good to each other, and probably smoke another sheesh for me.

you know I love you,
Chels