الجمعة، يوليو ٢٩، ٢٠٠٥

goin' south

I haven't checked this thing for a while. Thanks, Chelsey, for your nostaligia-filled post. Actually, I find that I've been nostalgic all my life, so don't worry--nothing new in my opinion. It makes life a little more sweet, I think.

Tomorrow my family is flying to Virginia to visit my older brother who lives in Norfolk. He's an architect and the apple of my mother's eye. It should be an interesting five days: my three siblings, my parents and myself--that makes 6--in John's apartment. Making the time even more interesting will be John's mammoth tomato plants inhabiting the living room, and the various saws presiding over the kitchen table (he likes tomatos and woodworking.) I wonder if he'll have room for all of us. My top goals are to 1: swim in the Atlantic (I swam in it last year, but it's always fun. And besides, that will bring my sea and ocean swimming record for this year one higher. Maybe I can get the Pacific in yet this fall.) 2: not get annoyed with my family--especially my mother. 3: Relax--I've been painting at work the past few weeks, and I think it's starting to stress me out. Is that pathetic? Painting stresses me out? So down south we go. Also, this is a first for the Den Boer family: we have never flown together before. We always drove the 32 hours from BC to Minnesota to visit my grandparents. I'm guessing that flying will reduce stress levels dramatically.

I've been reading _The Kite Runner_ by Khaled Hosseini. It's a novel about Afghanistan during the Russian occupation and subsequent coup leading to the Taliban's control. Pretty interesting book. I enjoy picking up on the little references to culture that I recognize--such as refusing something when it's offered to you the first time. So I recommend it to you all. If you're looking for something to read, _The Kite Runner_ would be a good choice. It's a fairly easy read--very engaging. (I feel like I'm standing in front of my grade eleven class giving a book talk.) I'm going to be planning and teaching a unit on it this fall, so if any of you read it and have some ideas for other resources, I'd love to hear from you. Chelsea, what was the name of the movie we watched in flat 2 about that Afghani woman?

Hope you're all well. I think of all of you often.