الاثنين، يوليو ١٨، ٢٠٠٥

And the ladder climb begins...

It's starting to thunder and rain a bit outside. The weatherman called for huge storms tonight, with flood warnings, advisories, and wind gusts over 60mph. I think we'll be lucky to get a half real thunderstorm. And that's after a day of 90% humidity and a heat index of 105.

Which, all said and done, means it is a perfect opportunity to post.

I've been reading all the posts about how figuring out how to adjust to life in states. I'm in the same boat. And here's my dillemma to top it all off- I'm graduated. No more school. I'm supposed to hit "the real world" now. Whoa- I dont know if I'm ready for this. I dont know if I want to do this! About a month ago I was hired as the Administrative Assistant for the Finance Department of Yark Automotive Group, Toledo's largest auto dealership. I have my own big office, complete with computer, shredder, and plant. I wear heals and dress clothes to work, a day that starts at 5:30 so that I can work from 6:45am to 4:30 0r 5pm. I spend 10 hours a day doing data entry. I'm the underpaid office girl for a department full of young recently graduated frat guys who make $60,000 + a year. I am entirely thankful to have a job, and I keep telling myself that this is only survivor employment, but I really hate it at times. And I get so depressed- why did I study as much and as hard in economics and political science and school in general so that I can enter data into spreadsheets? I feel like my brain is wasting away. And I'm constantly surrounded by the materialistic. I'm afraid that I've been sucked into the reality of the American life- working a lot, spending a lot, and caring more about the size of my pool that the starving in North Korea. [Granted, I dont have a pool and I dont think I'm at that stage yet. But I can see the pace beginning to be set].

I guess I'm afraid. Afraid that I'll never have the career that I want and the ability to make a difference in people's lives. I dont know where I'm going with this jobbled mess of crazy randomness. I just feel like you all [especially the graduated ones] will have a better understanding of this than others would.



Still hasn't stormed yet.

Love,
Liz

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Joy said...

amen Liz. I've been thinking of you a lot lately and I'm such a bum because I never turn those thoughts into an email. Anyway, I'm totally with you. I've got a hold over job through the first week of August. Then what? Will any job I want hire me? Or will I be stuck trying to scrape by working at Old Navy or something like that at the mall near where I want an apartment. It's so funny - you put all the work in the world into learning what it looks like you need to go where you want... and then it doesn't count. Good grades? Come on, 15 weeks of study in the Middle East? What more could these employers want? Apparently it's something else though...
But, I don't want to be only depressing. I mean, God has always taken care of me thus far. But it's scary when everything is up in the air and you don't know if you'll ever get where you want to be. But, I'm rooting for you and somewhere on the way things have to come right. Sort of a steady faith behind all the doubting.

٢:٢٤ ص  
Blogger Margaret said...

Try graduating . . . but not really. There was no diploma in my diploma folder--apparently they want me to finish my degree first. But yeah girls, what is next? It's not that I lay awake worrying, but my life is changing--it must change, and I'm not sure what shape that change should take. I mean, I know, ultimately what I want to do, but how to get there . . . . So I leave in about a month to student teach--try out this education education they gave me at Dordt. Liz, I am possitively certain that this job you have now is temporary. I can't imagine you in that situation for long--you have too much spunk. And Heather, wow, there is so much in store for you. You'll surprise yourself, I think. God will lead us, eh?

٢:٢٠ ص  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Margaret- totally feel ya. I only pseudo graduated- I have six credits to come up with somewhere. Our lonely graduation diploma folders should be friends. Maybe they could attend singles meetings together.

Heather- I sent you an email to your school addy, is that the one you still use?

٤:٠٥ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home