الأربعاء، يوليو ١٣، ٢٠٠٥

Til Kingdom Come?

A day of incredibly hot and extremely humid weather finds me sitting, once again, at my computer. The world, for a few moments, seems to be at peace as i listen to the corn grow and stare at my dog laying on the driveway. I cannot figure out how life here can seem so peaceful and serene for an evening while memories of injustice and corruption haunt my overworked thoughts.
Seven pairs of shorts? Yep, seven is the number of shorts my brother contemplated taking with him to Honduras. I don't own seven pairs of shorts; why did i find that so absurd? I have more than one vehicle and somehow justify it. In fact, i just purchased an old pickup with money that could have likely gone to an NGO along the Nile or a starving child in the next door. Why is money such a big deal if we have it or if we do not?
Life just isn't fair...but is that good enough? can i just rationalize this life as "unfair?" I don't know.
Despite this injustice I have hope. The corn is now 2 inches taller than when i began typing this mangled mess of words and I am at peace. Coldplay is singing to my ears about waiting til kingdom come and I realize I am not in charge. Life is beautiful and I am reminded why...

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I was thinking the other day that it is much harder to live simply in our affluent, western culture than it is in Egypt, for example. Here the standard of living is so much higher that if you chose to live with less, people think you must be crazy, or some wacky liberal weed-smoking hippie. But in Egypt, the people live with less because they have less, and that's all there is to it. The choices I make about how to use my money and the gifts God has given me are beginning to have more significance. Andrew, you haven't shown me your truck yet.

٦:٢٣ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home