الثلاثاء، يوليو ١٨، ٢٠٠٦

Yeah, it's AMBER!!

Hello all of my crazy, dear friends,

I must apologize for my inability to properly keep up on this blog and my inability to sign on myself. It is so fun to read what is going on with everyone, so I thought I would add.

OHHH, if anyone would like to take a roadtrip to Boseman, MT and then on to Portland, OR with me, I would love for any of you to come. It will be in a couple of weeks and I am visiting a friend in MT, then I'm in a wedding, then I'll be chillin' with the Lindsay in Oregan. How can any of you resist.

Anyway, I am living in the middle of nowhere (or as my crude dad likes to call it, bumbfuck, NE) on a beautiful cattle ranch where there are about 10 times as many cattle as people. Yes, it is crazy, but I ride everyday, get to spend time with my rancher boyfriend and am currently living with the parents and his little brother. What can I say?? Still haven't found a job, but am hoping to work as a social worker in a town called Valentine. Not sure if I'll get the job so until then just helping out on the ranch.

Some jobs I have helped out with...

Pushing the butt hole back into a cow. Let me explain. Sometimes young bulls (who are too little to breed) decide to try mounting their friends, their mothers, tires, whatever and in the process strain themselves and push out their buttholes. It's really disgusting. You see a black cow and all of a sudden a big red swollen butt hole is sticking out from under the tail. My job is to drive the cow to the guys who rope it, tie it by the back legs to a trailer, push the pooper back in and then sow up the hole a little smaller.

A.I. Artificial insemination. You actually have to go to school for this so I help round up the cattle, put them into a tiny pen and then let the boss man do the actual breeding. Yeah, you have to stick your arm all the way in and plant the semen.

BRAND. Yes, people still brand cattle. I am usually roping, but sometimes I get the lovely job of holding down a calf while the guys put their brand, vaccinate the calf and give it deworming medicine. At the end of the day I am covered in cow pies and smell like burning flesh. YUMMY!!

What else?? Have been to a few weddings, swim in the fishing pond, went camping and have been helping Trevor fix up his house (or bachelor shack as I like to call it) a few miles down the road.

Otherwise, still pondering life, what I should be doing and loving just to be alive!!

I love you all and please let me know if anyone wants to take a little roadtrip. You could even come see a working cattle ranch for a few days if so inclined!!

Most sincerely and with all my love,
Amber

6 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

woo for road trips!! yeah, ya'll hop on that band wagon!

١٢:٤٧ ص  
Blogger Dena said...

If BF, Nebraska wasn't so far in the middle of nowhere, I'd be on that bandwagon in a second. Sadly, some people think Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere too (well, in comparison to the States) so I'm out of luck. Hope you have fun Lindsay and Amber - oh and Lindsay, can you chase Amber around a little for me? :)

٧:١٦ ص  
Blogger Lindsay said...

haha!! you know I will. shh, don't tell amber.

١٢:٥٠ ص  
Blogger Dunkleburger said...

when are you going? i may be going on that exact road trip except with a stop in alberta also...crazy.
o, and i love hearing about your farming words.

٨:٢٣ ص  
Blogger Marcia M. Ghali said...

Amber!! Hey so glad to see you happy on the ranch. Do you need a re-invite to the blog? Email me your email address if you do (everyone has made me paranoid so I'm going to encode mine like Margaret): marcia dot ghali at gmail dot com.

٢:٣٤ ص  
Blogger Brad & Emily said...

Amber! I will be in Portland aread August 7th...will you still be around?

١٢:٥٠ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home