الثلاثاء، يونيو ٢١، ٢٠٠٥

frogger

I was driving home from work today and saw a sight that seemed out of place in Golden Valley, Minnesota, yet was strangely familiar. I looked down the street and saw three people (they didn't seem to be together) cross the street. Now, they didn't go to the crosswalk and wait for the light to cross this busy street like most law-abiding Americans. Instead they ran across the street between traffic. Memories flooded back to me as I watched these people scamper across the street looking terrified (rookies).

You know, I loved that part about Cairo. I got excited every time I walked up to a busy street, knowing I was once again about to experience the adventure of Human Frogger. And it was always that - an adventure. A small one, but a good one with a fantastic thrill. With it always came a sense of accomplishment. Would I get across without getting hit? Without dying (too dramatic)? Or even better, would I be able to walk across the street casually, with no fear in my eyes or in my step, knowing that the traffic would move or slow for me?

All these memories came back as I saw these people move across the road. And I soon came back to reality - that I am in Minnesota, where people usually don't cross streets like that. What I wouldn't give to be back in Cairo with you all playing Human Frogger as we test our fate and cross the cornish - mostly I just want to be in Cairo with y'all - I miss you and hope you're doing well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I know how you feel Andrew. I try to keep up my busy street crossing skills by regularly crossing the only busy street in Sioux Center--one lane at a time. However, people here don't really know what to do with me, so they usually end up stopping. Well, that's okay too, I guess. Oh Cairo. And oh MESP.

٦:١٩ ص  
Blogger Heather Joy said...

I agree - traffic crossing was a favorite activity for me too. A little scary and a bit of a thrill. There's no hope for practice here though - my town doesn't even have a stop light.

٤:١١ م  
Blogger Marcia M. Ghali said...

Is it funny that I'm excited to talk about crossing streets? Last week we had to cross streets with the children for VBS--I got in trouble for crossing one lane at a time because I was setting a bad example for the children. I laughed and remembered how much I miss Cairo. In other news, Bonnie's on the last leg of her journey--can't wait until she's stateside, bet you feel the same.

٧:٣٩ م  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home