الأحد، مايو ٢٩، ٢٠٠٥

Life After MESP

So, I've been back in America for exactly eleven days now and home in Iowa for a little less than that. It feels like I've been home for a lot longer than though. I've been enjoying myself, looking for a job, hanging out with my family, and seeing friends. The past few days have been consumed with graduation frenzy. Mark graduated yesterday and the big celebration is tomorrow morning. Now, I should've of thought of this earlier, but I'm really not kidding. Ulasich, Corrine, Cecka, Margaret, Kroeze you should come to the party I promise it would be worth it. Honestly, there's nothing quite like a hafla thrown by a bunch of Egyptians. Its not that far--like taking the train to Alexandria from Cairo and not even comparable to the drive to Siwa. My professional opinion is that you need a little Memorial Day adventure.

So, Barrett was right his little disposable camera's did turn out really well, and I regret making fun of him all semester as I wade through thousands of pictures. How's that "virtual tour" going for you Denny? Currently, I am slightly fixated on the this scrapbook that I have in my head. We'll just wait and see how it turns out in reality. I'm always a lot more creative and talented in my brain than I am in real life.

Following in the footsteps of Claire I've been doing a lot of reading, just because--it's been such a long time since I've had time to do that. Anyway, I read this book that I think is helpful coming off of MESP I actually borrowed it from Ulasich and I know that Steve has read it too. Anyway, its called "A New Kind of Christian" by Brian McLaren. It addresses the shift from modernity to post-modernity that Jim Wright talked about and discusses a lot of things that came up during our semester. Its not very well written, but I found it useful in helping me produce more coherent thoughts. I guess its a little bit controversial--so there's my disclaimer. Find a copy--tell me what you think.

In highschool when any of my girlfriends were being critical of someone or something I would tell her that she was in critical corner. I think I'm stuck in critical corner. I went to my home church for the first time this morning and I had a really hard time. The contemporary, well-packaged, middle American, suburban church just really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm struggling to find a balance between critical corner and complacency. I don't want to forget the reasons why my church and this Christianity of the affluent make me uncomfortable, but at the same time this is where I am and I need to enter into that as well. So right now I find myself in a stalemate, not exactly sure in which direction to move in order to find a solution. I'll keep you updated.

Can you believe Emily's wedding is in less than a week? I feel like I've been looking forward to it all semester. No vehicle was found for us to roadtrip out there from the Midwest, so I suppose the show will go on without us. I wish I could be there to see her in her strapless dress wedding glory. Can you just imagine?

Gosh, I miss you all. I must go now I have a very pressing errand to run. I am in charge of picking up the balloons for tomorrow. A very important job you know. I love you. Hope to see some of you tomorrow. You're an impulsive bunch. See you on the flipside. MMG.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Joy said...

Marsha, I'm just so glad someone else shares my opinion about the writing of the McLaren book. I kept bogging down and thinking this guy should have stuck to fiction or non-fiction instead of attempting both. To be honest, I gave up around chapter 9. But I thought something might be wrong with me because it won all these awards and the reviews on amazon.com usually loved the whole thing or hated the ideas. Anyway, if you tell me it's worth toughing out, I'll try to give the rest another go. I've been having a bit of a hard time with the critical corner too. I want out... but I also want to move from that corner to a place where I can effect change. I don't know how, but I'm praying that God will show something.

١٢:٥٩ ص  
Blogger andrew j. ulasich said...

Marcia, it was good to talk to you for that very short time the other day- even though it was like 7:30 am. For those of you interested, we had a wonderful conference call with our beloved bonnie who is still in Australia.

Anyway, I'm bummed I missed the party, but Bonnie tells me there is a rumor of a chicago trip in the works. Sounds good to me. Let's chat soon.

٨:٠٩ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home