الخميس، يونيو ٠٨، ٢٠٠٦

sabat ilxeer

Today I was sitting on the bus on the way home from work, and two guys came on. One of the guys greeted the man across the aisle from me, and said, "sabat ilxeer." It made me a little homesick for Egypt. Several of you are going back next year. That makes me happy. For my part, I'll continue to talk excitedly about the Middle East, and maybe influence my students a little.

We had 17 arrests this past week of young men of middle eastern dissent who had allegedly planned a huge terrorist attack. Somehow they managed to collect 3 tonnes of some sort of explosive. Now the prime minister, Stephen Harper, is touting Bushesque rhetoric about how this group of people hates us. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how to react to all of this. Like true Canadians, all the people I talk to have opinions, which they're not afraid to share with the group. They ask how these young men could go through the Canadian school system and still be fundamentalist terrorist type people. I don't know. I don't know how Canada should react, and I don't know how to respond to these people, and I wish that this wasn't happening to my country. That's it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dena said...

أزال أحد مشرفي المدونة هذا التعليق.

٨:١١ ص  
Blogger Dena said...

I know exactly how you feel Margaret. And today our Foreign Affairs Minister (Peter MacKay)was quoted as saying that there's no link between "violent conspiracies [like this one] and Canada's military missions [in Afghanistan]" which is pretty much bullsh*t I think (especially since the alleged terrorists had planned to kidnap Canadian politicians and release them only if the Canadian troops pulled out of Afghanistan). But one positive thing that I read is that the government seems to be as concerned with protecting Muslims in Canada (following this news) as it is with dealing with this threat. Some people are complaining about this equal concern, but it sounds like it's a good thing to me.

٩:٢٦ ص  
Blogger Margaret said...

A mosque was vandalized here in Winnipeg a few days ago. Sigh. But yeah, the Canadian government is usually pretty good about protecting minority groups.

٤:١٣ م  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home