الأربعاء، أكتوبر ١٢، ٢٠٠٥

more engagement news....

No, not mine, sillies. Rather, my best friend at Gordon is now engaged to be married. (If you heard any details of my life at Gordon, it probably included anecdotes including her...my buddy, my partner in crime. Yeah, that's the one.)

So I mentioned in my other post that emotion was all over the map...partially because she called me with this news 3 days before I came here to England, when emotions were already running high. (At least I'm not persoanlly facing engagement 3 days before leaving the country;Liz can speak to that), but since it is unlikely that I can attend the wedding (March 17, St.Patrick's Day), my natural response of joy is a little complicated by some sadness. how do I not go to the wedding??? even if it doesn't make sense to go.

My friend's engagment has also resulted in a slightly amusing personal identity crisis. Her relationship with fiance has progressed really quickly and I was pretty much taken off-guard by the announcement. This is like the least-mushy person on earth we're talking about who is now totally in love. And I'm totally confused by this unsolicited onset of romance, as we shared a lot of the same views on the subject. I was just as surprised when she called as you'd be if I posted here and said I was getting married in April.

While the prevalent feeling is one of joy and most certainly one of support, I kind of wonder.... what the heck happens when one of your best friends finds, like, a spouse-best friend-soul-mate-thing for all times? Clearly, things change will change in our relationship, and I have to let go and trust our friendship, and deal with it and all that. Which I will. It's just hard to make the initial adjustment.

As for less conflicted news, it is confirmed that Josiah is coming to visit me and Will in Oxford! (Will = my housemate, a Westmont guy, knows Josiah too).
Also, today I visited Luke, Claire's friend. Remember when we played Cranium with him at Diaa and Carol's house? I do. He has pictures from it on his rotating screensaver, so he recognized my face from popping up on his computer. (Hey, I was on a team with him, Josiah, Barrett, and I think Heather. we can have a partial reunion when Josiah comes. )
Right. So that is sweet. I am, as Josiah would say, stoked.

Finally, my own big news is that I might get a chance to row while here. A good way to exercise after too long a respite, but even more so, an adored pursuit. I might just expire from happiness if it works out. (kind of a lose-lose sitch there, isn't it?)
I'll keep you posted. No pun inten.......ahhhh, yea it was.

peace out, State-side ones (and Canadia, and Belgium/Ireland/can't keep track ones. )
love, Chels

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Chels, I know exactly what you're talking about with the best friend getting married situation. And yes, your relationship will change. But hopefully you two will be able to mold that change into an even better (but different) friendship.

٣:٥٨ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home