السبت، أكتوبر ٠١، ٢٠٠٥

greetings from Oxford

So here I am in Oxford. It has been so nice to read things from all of you, and to know that Jenna and Dena are alive! (Yes, what of Paul, Denny, Corrine, Cecka, Rachel, Clinton, and some others?)

I, too, miss Egpyt. I just sticky tacked up some photos from last semester in this tiny tiny tiny room of mine. They include: Anafora, homestay, the Villa, biking in Siwa, and the view out of Flat 5, people praying, and of course the group shot.

I am less homesick for Egpyt than some of you, maybe because I am beginning another brand new experience, or maybe because...uh, there are so many authentic Middle Eastern food places here. Also a significant Muslim population, which I have been removed from while tucked away in cute suburban Massachusetts since flying away from Cairo in April.

It is true that I am engrossed in the new experience at hand. But also, truthfully, I was up at 2:30am the other day looking at flights from London to Cairo. I've found some sub $300 ones....
hm. I am so much closer to Cairo now that I'm here in England than I was at home in New England.
I would very much like to go back, but also I think I'm expecting you all to be there. my new housemates rock, but we are each buying our own food. That and a million little things make me miss the community of sharing food and meals between 7 girls. I didn't realize what a feat that was, but it was special. Guess I'm on my own for dinner endeavors. cooking for myself? slightly anticlimactic and less exciting that cooking for 7 - 10. I like commuinty.

in the meantime I can quell my cultural cravings with places that sell doner, falafal, fuul, shwerma, and other treats right down the street from my house. are you drooling? so who wants to visit Oxford now? be honest!

Anyway, a stupid mass e-mail (to everyone in the world including you all) will follow this soon. It talks about how crummy I will be at writing once the semester starts and also tells you to let me know if you actually want mass e-mails from me. (Sorry, I get bitter at the lame-ness of mass mailing and losing touch with people I care for. )Well, I'll let you read it when you get it.

One funny thing...I have 4 housemates, right? And although the CCCU UK branch looks after us, it is essentially a Gordon program. except for one Westmont guy who heard about it, applied, and got in. His name is Will and the reason I tell you this is that he is apparently friends with Josiah!! Also, Claire's friend Luke lives like a couple blocks down from us. That just proves that it is a small, small, Christian college world that we are in, kids. I proposed to Josiah that he come up from Belgium and we have one freaking big CCCU-connected hafla here at 42 Boulter Street Oxford. I have yet to see Luke, but obviously Will and I will be spending the year in the same house.

Well, I didn't say much about where I am at emotionally, which is all over the map. I think I will do that tomorrow. For now I just wanted to let you know that I miss Egpyt too, I did arrive in Oxford safe and sound (after talking to Dena who called minutes before I left), and yeah, that Josiah knows my Westmont housemate. That seems like enough for now.

I love you all and will be staring at the group pic all year as I sit here at my desk.

~ Chels


P.S. Denny, I don't know if you read this, but thank you for the pictures that you sent.
I thought of you yesterday on a field trip to St. Alban's, an abbey and cathedral containing a shrine to the first Christian martyr in Britain. St.Alban sheltered a persecuted priest, became a Christian himself, and was martyred. (St. Alban's icon is a picture of him being decapitated and the Roman soldiers eyeballs popping out of their stalks as a punishment for killing the saint.) He, as the first martyr in Britain, means a great deal at the location, named Verulamium by the Romans. I wonder if you've studied him?

4 Comments:

Blogger Marcia M. Ghali said...

Chels--
Is it the group shot with everyone plus Cecka's nostrils or the one with everyone acutally in it?

Just curious--love you.

١١:٢٣ م  
Blogger Chels said...

um, it is the one with Cecka pointing skyward inquisitivly with Kroeze.
so, the one with everyone in it.

i wish i had brought the nostril one too, just for the laugh it would give me every time i saw it, but at the time i was packing didn't think of taking both. and as much as i like the underside of Cecka's nose, i wanted to see her beautiful, lovely face even more.

love. you. too!

٦:١٣ م  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love the fact that you have a picture of our homestay family on your desk. I think about them a lot- wonder how they are doing. Do you still have your mom's brother's email so we can send the pics?

Good luck in Oxford sweety- I'm so proud of you! Rock on all you continuing-international kids.

٤:٠٨ ص  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

How silly- I mean "our" mom. Welp, thats what I get for failing to proof read prior to posting!

٤:١٠ ص  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home